Health & Wellness

College life can be stressful.

At ABM College, we care about the wellbeing of all our students. Staying healthy begins with eating well and stay active, but it is also important to understand the many health resources that are available to you. We have compiled the following list of services that offer all the additional support you may need.

HealthLink Alberta

Healthlink Alberta is a great resource for health advice, information, and finding healthcare. They can be reached by dialing 811 within Alberta. Sometimes, this option can be faster than going to a hospital, or clinic. Alberta Health Services provides many health resources for you to consider. If you require immediate assistance and believe it is an emergency, please dial 911.

Alberta Health Services

Walk-In Clinics

Walk-in clinics are a great option for dealing with minor ailments, injuries, and routine examinations. You can call 811 to find a clinic nearest you.

Mental Health Services

Mental health is an important part of your overall health and is essential to ensure you have a successful student career. There are various resources in the city that offer counselling services on different sliding scales based on eligibility. For access, these services require an AHCIP number.

Student Mental Health Resources:

If you are in distress and need immediate help, please call the Distress Centre 24-hour support line at (403)226-HELP (4357). You can call this for service for free in over 200 languages, and access it as an international student as well.

ABM College Health Care Insurance Policy

Personal Health Care Coverage

Medical expenses can be expensive in Canada. All International Students at ABM College are required to obtain personal health insurance while studying in Canada. This includes applying for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) for standard coverage, and supplemental private health insurance for services not covered by AHCIP or for students who are ineligible for AHCIP.

Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP)

International students are eligible for AHCIP coverage if they fulfill the following requirements:

  • Students who have a 12-month study permit (valid for an Alberta educational institute) and who will reside in Alberta for 12 months or more are eligible for AHCIP coverage and should apply.
  • Students with study permit valid for more than 3 months, but less than 12 months, may be eligible for AHCIP coverage if their application is accompanied by a letter from the student confirming their intent to reside in Alberta for at least 12 months.
  • Students under 18 years of age must be added to the AHCIP account of a custodian.

See Full AHCIP Eligibility Requirements

It is important to note that AHCIP does not cover all medical costs for services such as dental care, prescription medication, physiotherapy and more. You will still need to purchase additional health insurance coverage for yourself and any family members accompanying you to have these costs covered. Please refer to the full list of what AHCIP covers.

AHCIP Coverage List

Private Health Insurance Plans

Students who are ineligible to obtain coverage under AHCIP must purchase a private plan through an insurance company or agent, in their home country or on arrival in Canada.  Please refer to our list of private insurance plans. If you do arrive in Canada without insurance coverage, medical insurance providers are authorized to provide this service to those who apply within five days of arriving in Canada.

Private Insurance Plans

When to Apply for Alberta Health Care

It is important to apply for AHCIP coverage within 3 months of your moving date:

  • If your application is received within 3 months of your arrival, your coverage will start on either the date you arrive in Alberta or the date signed on your study permit, whichever is later
  • If you do not register with AHCIP within the first 3 months of your Alberta residency, Alberta Health and Wellness will determine the date your coverage becomes effective

You will need to apply for this insurance for yourself and any family members accompanying you. Students under 18 years of age must be added to the AHCIP account of a custodian. Anyone with temporary immigration documents who is unsure about their eligibility for coverage should contact Alberta Health directly.

Contact Alberta Health

Important Local Phone Numbers


For City of Calgary information or to request a service within city limits:

· Report concerns such as excessive snow or ice on roadways, back lanes, or sidewalks.

· Report non-working streetlamps

· Noise complaints

311 offers language translation services for more than 200 languages, if you state the name of your language in English a translator will be provided.


For information about community or social resources available in Calgary. This includes financial, social, food and mental health support. Free and confidential translation services are available.


For physical or mental information and advice provided by a registered nurse. The nurse will be able to diagnose your illness, but will tell you if you should seek medical treatment or try treatment at home. Translation services are available.
abm college city of calgary map
calgary city map landmark legend
Samar Ayaz
"Teachers and staff are very nice and helpful. I am in the HCA program - the class sizes are very small. I look forward to coming to school everyday!"
Fahid Hundal
"Great school!! Health care is taught really well at ABM College. Teachers are awesome, highly recommended."