ABM College Health Care Insurance Policy
Personal Health Care Coverage
Medical expenses can be expensive in Canada. All International Students at ABM College are required to obtain personal health insurance while studying in Canada. This includes applying for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) for standard coverage, and supplemental private health insurance for services not covered by AHCIP or for students who are ineligible for AHCIP.
Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP)
International students are eligible for AHCIP coverage if they fulfill the following requirements:
- Students who have a 12-month study permit (valid for an Alberta educational institute) and who will reside in Alberta for 12 months or more are eligible for AHCIP coverage and should apply.
- Students with study permit valid for more than 3 months, but less than 12 months, may be eligible for AHCIP coverage if their application is accompanied by a letter from the student confirming their intent to reside in Alberta for at least 12 months.
- Students under 18 years of age must be added to the AHCIP account of a custodian.
See Full AHCIP Eligibility Requirements
It is important to note that AHCIP does not cover all medical costs for services such as dental care, prescription medication, physiotherapy and more. You will still need to purchase additional health insurance coverage for yourself and any family members accompanying you to have these costs covered. Please refer to the full list of what AHCIP covers.
AHCIP Coverage List
Private Health Insurance Plans
Students who are ineligible to obtain coverage under AHCIP must purchase a private plan through an insurance company or agent, in their home country or on arrival in Canada. Please refer to our list of private insurance plans. If you do arrive in Canada without insurance coverage, medical insurance providers are authorized to provide this service to those who apply within five days of arriving in Canada.
Private Insurance Plans
When to Apply for Alberta Health Care
It is important to apply for AHCIP coverage within 3 months of your moving date:
- If your application is received within 3 months of your arrival, your coverage will start on either the date you arrive in Alberta or the date signed on your study permit, whichever is later
- If you do not register with AHCIP within the first 3 months of your Alberta residency, Alberta Health and Wellness will determine the date your coverage becomes effective
You will need to apply for this insurance for yourself and any family members accompanying you. Students under 18 years of age must be added to the AHCIP account of a custodian. Anyone with temporary immigration documents who is unsure about their eligibility for coverage should contact Alberta Health directly.
Contact Alberta Health
Important Local Phone Numbers