Adult ESL Classes in Calgary
The Institute of Learning for New Canadians (at the ABM College campus) now offers an English as a Second Language program called ESL Transitions. The Government of Alberta-approved program offers a supportive and interactive learning environment to effectively build students’ foundational and academic language competencies, preparing them for further education, training, and employment.
English as a Second Language (ESL) classes provide the language skills needed to be proficient in speaking, reading, writing and listening in English. The Institute of Learning for New Canadians (ILNC) is offering an ESL program that will provide both study and practice of the English language to adults whose first language is not English.
What Does this ESL Program Offer?
The ESL Transitions Program offers eligible clients a modular based ESL program that will prepare them to transition to employment or further education in Canada.
- 25 hours per week of quality ESL instruction
- 12 week semesters starting September 4, 2020
- Continuous intake (join at the beginning of any month after approval)
- Qualified and accredited ESL instructors with significant experience teaching ESL
- Instruction offered in the most up to date, in-class and computer-based ESL instructional methodology
What Do These ESL Classes Teach?
Instruction is offered for reading, writing, listening and speaking:
- English for employment
- English preparation for career program pathways
- English for academic purposes
- Computer literacy
- Business communication skills
- Intercultural competence
- Canadian life skills
Who is Eligible For These ESL Courses?
The program offers language training for those who have completed a minimum of CLB 4 (Canadian Language Benchmark) and are ready to start learning at a CLB 5 level of English. You may be eligible for admission if you fit into one or more of the following groups:
- Ready to start CLB level 5, 6, or 7 (must have finished a minimum of CLB 4)
- Immigrant status or refugee status
- No longer qualify for LINC program or are on a waiting list for LINC CLB 5 at another institution
- Canadian citizen
- E.I. recipient
- Alberta Works recipient
- AISH recipient
- Low-income Albertan
There may be full or partial tuition funding available through the Alberta Government for those who are eligible.
If you would like to find out if you qualify the ESL Transitions program, please contact the ESL Transitions Registrar at 587-325-9854.